Wooster Geologists Pass Through Travel Hell

December 20th, 2010

I think the lowest moment was this morning as I stood in one of those long, snaking security lines in the Delta portion of Terminal 3 at JFK International Airport. The high ceiling has pigeon nests in it, and the evil birds occasionally fly over the helpless travelers below and poop on their heads.

Following on our previous “Heathrow Diversion” post, this is our final report on a failed geological trip. Because of the snow and ice in England, our London flight was alternately canceled and reinstated (or at least that’s how it was communicated to us). We feared yet another mid-Atlantic diversion or, worse, getting to Heathrow and not being able to return home before the holidays. After many little adventures, we gave up on getting to London. I just arrived in Wooster and Megan is on a flight home to Detroit. My luggage, of course, is missing in action, but fortunately I did not keep in it the Permian type specimens or our Cretaceous collection. [Update: My luggage apparently never left Detroit!]

Throughout this journey we were accompanied by people who just want to get home to their families for the holidays. Here’s to their safe and successful travels.

2 Responses to “Wooster Geologists Pass Through Travel Hell”

1. Anna Muddon 21 Dec 2010 at 1:21 pm

This is so unfortunate! Will you be able to try going again after the holidays?

2. Mark Wilsonon 21 Dec 2010 at 1:35 pm

Hi Anna! I’m afraid our window has closed on this trip. I have other trips planned for after the holidays, and the spring break is taken up with our Mojave Expedition. Too bad — but I’m glad we are not trapped in London right now!