A Midday Biology & Geology Field Trip

Geologist Greg Wiles and Biologist Rick Lehtinen in Spangler Park outside Wooster, Ohio.

WOOSTER, OHIO–Our colleague Rick Lehtinen in the Department of Biology had a great idea: how about a casual noon trip to the local Spangler Park to enjoy the plants, animals, rocks and streams? So Greg Wiles and I took him up on it and had a splendid couple of hours down in the gorge. We talked of ash trees, buried valleys, alluvial fans, salamanders and badgers. What an excellent break from grading!

Dr. Wiles showing where the creek flow goes from supercritical to subcritical.

An American Toad found by Dr. Lehtinen.

My contribution? An analysis of this beautiful set of bivalve, crinoid and brachiopod fossils from the Logan Formation (Mississippian).

About Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson is a Professor of Geology at The College of Wooster. He specializes in invertebrate paleontology, carbonate sedimentology, and stratigraphy. He also is an expert on pseudoscience, especially creationism.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to A Midday Biology & Geology Field Trip

1. Jessica says:

I went for a hike just this morning. It was a beautiful day to be outside. I saw many different species of mushroom amid the leaf litter. Too bad we missed each other!

2. Mark Wilson says:

That would have been fun, Jess. It was a day to remember as fall approaches.

3. Stephanie Jarvis says:

As I read this, I was nearly jumping up and down like a little kid at the idea of such an outing. Quite jealous 🙂 I bet Spangler is beautiful right now!

4. Andrew Retzler says:

Did you talk about the salamander hybrids found there? Interesting study.

5. Mark Wilson says:

Hello Stephanie: Spangler at its best! Hello Andrew: We not only talked about the hybrids, we found one; too squirmy for me to get a good photo. You both would have loved it all. You are in your own places of wonder right now!