Wooster’s Most Beautiful Building Stones

January 31st, 2012

Wooster, OH – Volcanoclast is hosting the latest Accretionary Wedge, and since I have exactly 2 hours left until the end of January, I thought I’d post a last-minute entry. The theme is countertop geology, or more broadly, stones that are “decorative and completely detached from their origin.” My contribution is inspired by my weekly “Research Friday” routine.

Perhaps the most crucial countertop in my life is the one at the Old Main Cafe, where my Research Friday mornings begin. Photo courtesy of Matthew Gardzina.

While waiting on my caffeinated beverage, I admire their choice of countertop: a perthitic, alkali-feldspar-rich "red" granite.

Leaving Old Main, I pass the Kauke Arch (shown here packed with snow) and the Old Main patio (on the garden level below the arch), which are paved with anorthosite tiles. Photo courtesy of Matthew Gardzina.

If you look closely, you can see the striations and play of colors in the plagioclase crystals.

With my latte in hand, I make my way to the Timken Science Library.

Not only do I get to see this gorgeous granite at the Timken check-out desk, but also on the entrance floors and caps of the entryway walls.

I wonder…would my Research Friday routine be different if I weren’t an igneous petrologist?

4 Responses to “Wooster’s Most Beautiful Building Stones”

1. Andrew Retzleron 03 Feb 2012 at 12:05 pm

I always enjoyed the COW countertops. Little campus love for the invertebrate paleontologist though!

2. Mark Wilsonon 04 Feb 2012 at 11:29 am

I love that anorthosite. It always reminds me of the Moon. I also like the Research Friday routine!

3. Soliuson 12 Feb 2012 at 6:10 am

Is that snow… blocking the foyer??? Do you guys live with that?

4. Meagenon 12 Feb 2012 at 12:07 pm

Filling the arch with snow is a tradition. Legend has it that classes are cancelled the day after filling the arch. As far as I can tell, it never works. Students still “win,” though. I think there is free pizza for those who remove the snow. http://www.wooster.edu/About-Wooster/History-Traditions/Special%20Traditions