A typical field geology day in the Negev

June 7th, 2010

Exploring a portion of the Menuha Formation (Upper Cretaceous) in Wadi Aqrav (“Scorpion Wash” which we may rename “Tick Wash”). Coordinates: N30° 33.712′, E34° 38.844′.

Our source of shade in Wadi Aqrav is unusually good (until the afternoon sun finds the inside).

Our team in the Wadi Aqrav cave, left to right: Stuart Chubb (Birkbeck College, London), Andrew Retzler (Wooster senior) and Micah Risacher (Wooster senior).

Excellent fossil echinoids we found today in the Menuha Formation. The one on the left is a regular echinoid (the sea urchin type); the one on the right is an irregular echinoid (the sea biscuit type).

5 Responses to “A typical field geology day in the Negev”

1. Meagenon 08 Jun 2010 at 10:04 am

Looking good – nobody looks too red yet! ;)

2. Elyssa Krivicichon 08 Jun 2010 at 10:17 am

Bill Ausich would be very happy with these pictures. I was doing field work in Alabama this weekend and we met Richard Keyes. I will have to post some pictures so that you can see what we found. We were working in the Fort Payne Chert of Alabama and Tennessee.

3. Mark Wilsonon 08 Jun 2010 at 1:12 pm

Love to see the photos, Elyssa!

4. [...] greensands and clays. We’ve already seen these remarkable chalks this summer in Mississippi, Israel, and Germany. Cretaceous Chalk is nearly global in its extent (The White Cliffs of Dover in England [...]

5. [...] It was 38°F and breezy when we arrived. That’s when I took my first and last picture, shown above. (It is of Tricia Hall and Scott Kugel in the middle of their stratigraphic task.) The rain came slowly at first. Not too bad. Then we heard the thunder and were quickly overwhelmed by a serious downpour. Near-freezing temperatures and a thunderstorm? That’s spring in Ohio. I haven’t been so cold and wet since I was in this place. This is why I very much prefer my field areas to be very warm and very dry. [...]