On the rails heading north. Way north.

Scarborough station 061715SCARBOROUGH, ENGLAND (June 17) — It is my turn to leave Scarborough. Mae and Meredith went south to London and then on to Paris yesterday. I’m heading north today into Scotland for a Larwood Symposium (run by the International Bryozoology Association) in Thurso and later Stromness.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 8.36.16 PMThe trip is nearly 12 hours long by train, with connections in York, Edinburgh, and Inverness. I’m getting good use out of my BritRail Pass. I hope to see much through my windows as we cross through Lowland Scotland into the Highlands and eventually the north coast. Thurso is the most northerly station in the British rail system.

Scarborough benchDid you know the world’s longest bench is in the Scarborough Rail Station?

About Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson is a Professor of Geology at The College of Wooster. He specializes in invertebrate paleontology, carbonate sedimentology, and stratigraphy. He also is an expert on pseudoscience, especially creationism.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to On the rails heading north. Way north.

1. Paul Taylor says:

That really is a remarkable bench. It is a remnant of the days when special excursion trains ran from the industrial cities of northern England to Scarborough every weekend. The bench would have been used by factory workers waiting for their train home after a long day at the seaside.