Some wildflowers from the western islands of Estonia

TALLINN, ESTONIA–This is a tradition on my field trips: a sampling of flowers we’ve seen. We are so fortunate to be working in such a beautiful place. It would be a pity not to share. I don’t have any identifications, so feel free to add them in the comments. [The above flower is Campanula persicifolia.]

(Actually I do know that this is a thistle and a Six-Spotted Burnet moth.)

This wild rose has raindrops from the first downpour we experienced at Undva Pank.

This geranium-like flower is one of the most common on Saaremaa.

This is the first time I’ve seen these little red stars.

These long yellow shoots were found only on the alvars on the Sarve Peninsula on Hiiumaa.

These look a bit like Mountain Laurel at home.

I have no idea what these lily-like flowers are. They are striking in the field.

About Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson is a Professor of Geology at The College of Wooster. He specializes in invertebrate paleontology, carbonate sedimentology, and stratigraphy. He also is an expert on pseudoscience, especially creationism.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Some wildflowers from the western islands of Estonia

1. Ron Schott says:

That last photo looks like snapdragons, if I’m not mistaken (though I only know them from eastern North America).

2. Kea Giles says:

Very, very neato! The yellow flowers are called butter & eggs here in Colorado: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linaria_vulgaris. It’s amazing – these flowers all grow here in Boulder! And I love that shot of the butterfly on the thistle flower.

3. Mark Wilson says:

Thank you very much, Kea. I love the name “butter and eggs”!