Wooster celebrates National Fossil Day

October 13th, 2010

Crinoid holdfasts and bryozoans on a cobble from the Ordovician of northern Kentucky.

WOOSTER, OHIO–Today we are celebrating the first annual National Fossil Day (or at least I am!). Be sure to check out that link from the National Park Service — it contains the official National Fossil Day song! My recognition of this special day is to post some photographs of nice fossil specimens from the Wooster collections. You can find larger versions of these photos — and hundreds more — on my Wikimedia page. Here’s to fossils: beautiful messengers from the distant past.

Shark teeth (Scapanorhynchus) from the Upper Cretaceous of southern Israel. These were collected by Andrew Retzler ('11).

Rudist bivalves from the Upper Cretaceous of the Omani Mountains.

Tentaculitids from the Devonian of Maryland.

Thecideide brachiopods, cyclostome bryozoans and serpulids encrusting a bivalve shell from Zalas Quarry (Jurassic: Callovian-Oxfordian) in southern Poland.

Fossil leaf (Viburnum lesquereuxii) with insect damage; Dakota Sandstone (Cretaceous) of Ellsworth County, Kansas.

2 Responses to “Wooster celebrates National Fossil Day”

1. Elyssa Krivicichon 14 Oct 2010 at 10:10 am

Your photos always amaze me. They are fantastic!!!!

2. Amy White Ericksonon 14 Oct 2010 at 12:49 pm

Hi Mark! You take great photos! Nice to see that Wooster celebrates National Fossil Day. (Remember that time we took pictures of my fingernail with the SEM?) Again, great photos!