Digital Geology at #GeoPort

This post is for my Instructional Technology Fellows. #GeoPort is the GSA Portland twitter hash tag, so you can follow what people are saying about the meeting. GSA also posts meeting updates on its own twitter feed and facebook page. If you prefer to read blogs, check out the GSA Portland blog roll, which includes our own Wooster Geologists blog.

After an important afternoon stop (see Figure 1), I attended an inspiring session on digital innovations in the geosciences. Talks focused on the digital revolution, OneGeology, GigaPan, and Google Earth. The advantages of writing my field notes with a Smart Pen and geotagging my field photos made me wonder why I haven’t been doing these things all along! Thanks to Kyle House, Ian Jackson, M. Lee Allison, Declan De Paor, Ron Schott, and all of the other presenters who so graciously shared their insights and ideas.

Figure 1. The Starbucks in the conference center is arguably the busiest spot in the entire building.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Digital Geology at #GeoPort

1. Mark Wilson says:

Such very useful links, Meagen. Right now, though, I’m feeling like a very old field geologist. I don’t even use Rite-in-the-Rain paper, let alone a Smart Pen. You’ve added to my birthday list.