AWG Breakfast

I was fortunate enough to have a ticket to the sold-out Association for Women Geoscientists (AWG) breakfast. How inspiring it is to be surrounded by women and men who support and promote female geoscientists! After a heartfelt series of stories from students and colleagues, Dr. Anita Grunder (Oregon State University) was awarded the AWG Outstanding Educator Award. Dr. Grunder’s impact on women geoscientists is significant and tangible, which challenged me to think about the ways that I can contribute to this cause.

Coffee and juice at the AWG breakfast. I would have taken a picture of the food, too, but I ate it all and my plate was cleared before I remembered to pull out my camera. Trust me, it was delicious!

AWG promotes women in all fields of geology at all stages of their careers. They offer numerous scholarships, awards, and resources for students. They also hold gatherings to help their members develop strong support networks. At my table, I spoke with women who began their careers as chemists and realized, after working in the field for several years, that their passion was geology. We were joined by other female faculty and AWG leadership. I was glad to see that a couple of Wooster grads took advantage of the opportunity.

Heather Hunt '09 (left) and Elyssa Krivicich '09 (right) at the AWG Breakfast.

Although it was unintended, this picture exemplifies the strength of the networking opportunities provided by AWG. Above Heather’s right shoulder is Kim Hannula, author of one of my favorite geoblogs and a geology professor at a liberal arts college in the Rockies. Sitting at the table behind Elyssa’s left shoulder is LeeAnn Srogi (center), a new collaborator of mine from West Chester University, who I am co-leading a field trip with at the 2010 Northeastern/Southeastern GSA meeting.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.