Geological Survey of Israel Headquarters

May 24th, 2009

The campus of the Geological Survey of Israel (GSI) may not look like much from the outside, but it is a world class scientific institution. It has about 100 employees, most of whom are Earth scientists. The buildings and grounds of the headquarters are understated in part because they are a section of an old Mandate-era British military base, and also because they are embedded within an ultra-orthodox neighborhood one block away from Mea Shearim. (I would have included a photograph of a street scene, but I learned my lesson earlier when I was observed removing a camera from my pocket and was very much chastised.)

combinedsignbuildings052409

Our preparations for this week’s fieldwork include using Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software and hardware to create custom maps. We selected the best aerial imagery available and superimposed on it the known geological information, especially the contacts between stratigraphic units.

A GIS station in the GSI offices.  (I know: GIS, GSI ...)  On the left-hand corner of the table is our growing pile of printed orthophotos with superimposed geological information.

A GIS station in the GSI offices. (I know: GIS, GSI ...) On the left-hand corner of the table is our growing pile of printed orthophotos with superimposed geological information.

Finally, in case anyone wonders if I’m eating well enough, you can see from this last image that I’m doing just fine.

jerusalemmcdonalds052409

2 Responses to “Geological Survey of Israel Headquarters”

1. Allan Wilsonon 24 May 2009 at 5:54 pm

Who would do the chastising? The police? The Army?

2. Mark Wilsonon 24 May 2009 at 10:43 pm

The haredim (ultra-orthodox) themselves with shouts and gestures made it clear they did not want me taking photographs in their neighborhood. Think Amish, but with an edge.